Businesses and Multi-Family Complexes Organic Waste Recycling Requirements
Organic Recycling Services
You can choose any combination of the following options below to divert organic materials from the landfill and be compliant with AB 1826.
- Source-separate organic waste from other waste and subscribe to an organic waste recycling service that specifically includes collection and recycling of organic waste.
- Recycle or compost organic waste on-site, or self-haul organic waste for organic recycling
- Self-haul organic waste for organic recycling. (Proof of transport & tracking may be required).
- Subscribe to an organic waste recycling service that includes mixed waste processing that specifically recycles organic waste. (In Santee, it would be through Waste Management, the City’s franchise hauler.)
- Donate extra food to feed people or animals. See resources below for a partial list of options.
DID YOU KNOW? Recyclable organic waste accounts for about 40 percent of the material Californians dispose in landfills annually. Recycling organic waste can save businesses money by reducing disposal costs while supporting green jobs in our community.
Local Government RequirementsThe City of Santee implemented a commercial solid waste recycling program that consists of education, outreach and monitoring of businesses, that is appropriate for and is designed to divert commercial solid waste from businesses and multi-family units.
The City is required to report the progress achieved in implementing its commercial recycling program, including education, outreach and monitoring, and if applicable, enforcement efforts and exemptions, by providing updates in its electronic annual report.
- East County Transitional Living Center https://www.ectlc.org/
- Feeding San Diego https://feedingsandiego.org/ “An easy way to donate your surplus food.” Mealconnect.org
- San Diego Food Bank https://sandiegofoodbank.org/
- San Diego Food System Alliance http://www.sdfsa.org/
- Santee Food Bank https://thesanteefoodbank.org/
- Save The Food https://savethefood.com/community