Public Notice: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updated as of 6/1/2020 at 8:45am

Community Resource Guide

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Start With 2-1-1

If you need help and don't know where to turn, you can avoid frustration by simply calling 211.

This countywide referral service is staffed by experts who can connect you with agencies that provide everything from substance abuse treatment to housing assistance. San Diego County has more than 2,000 community agencies providing 5,000 health and human service programs. The easiest way to sort through them and find what you need is to call 2-1-1.  

211 is available 24 hours a day and has a staff that speaks more than 150 languages.

Learn more about 211 San Diego

Phone: 211 or (858) 300-1211 
TTY: 211 or (858) 300-1311


County of San Diego   (858) 594-4801

The County of San Diego administers the only program providing direct financial assistance to renters. Low-income persons may call the County Department of Housing and Community Development for information regarding the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly “Section 8”).

San Diego Housing Commission

The San Diego Housing Commission maintains a list of rental properties that offer below-market rents ( The City of Santee is not a housing provider.

Subject to funding availability, provides down-payment and closing cost assistance for first-time homebuyers. Interested low-income persons are encouraged to email the San Diego Housing Commission for program details.


Meals-On-Wheels  (619) 447-8782

Provides choice of one or two nutritious meals seven days a week, including holidays.  Cost: one-time, start-up fee of $35; meals $4 (or two for $7).

Santee Food Bank  (619) 448-2096

Qualifying low-income persons may receive 2-3 days of emergency food once per month. Open every Wednesday and Friday from 9:00‒11:00 a.m.  Open 1st and 3rd Saturday from 9:00‒11:00 a.m.

Santee Santas  (619) 258-5947

Provides food supplies to qualified low-income persons at the holidays - and throughout the year depending on availability.


CSA San Diego County  (619) 444-5700

Provides landlord-tenant mediation and fair housing counseling/support.


Elder Law and Advocacy Center  (858) 565-1392

Provides free assistance with legal, Medicare, caregiver, long-term care and many other issues. The organization seeks to help those in greatest need, including those who are isolated, homebound or institutionalized; or unable to travel due to illness or frailty.

Legal Aid Society of San Diego  (877) 534-2524

Provides legal advice and counsel, effective referrals, and legal representation to low-income persons experiencing housing discrimination, landlord/tenant issues, eviction, or difficulty gaining or maintaining health coverage/services.

San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program   (619) 235.5656

Provides low-income and disadvantaged clients with equal access to the civil justice system, with particular emphasis on elder law, bankruptcy, estate planning and health care.

Small Claims Legal Advisor   (858) 634-1900

Provides free assistance to anyone with questions regarding lawsuits in San Diego County Small Claims Court. The advisor is available by telephone (only) to discuss court issues and procedures.


CA Dept. of Housing and Community Development   (951) 782-4420

The State of California has sole authority to inspect parks and direct park owners to perform maintenance [with the exception of emergency weed abatement or other fire protection activities under the authority of the city fire marshal]

City of Santee  (619) 258-4100 x221

The City of Santee administers the Manufactured Home Fair Practices Ordinance which regulates increases in space rent paid by owners of mobilehomes whose rental agreements do not exceed 12 months in length.  The City no longer offers repair/rehabilitation loans or rental assistance.


Senior Guidance Website



Adult Protective Services (APS)  (800) 510-2020

The County’s Aging and Independence Services office provides services to older adults, people with disabilities and their family members, to help keep clients safely in their homes, promote healthy and vital living, and publicize positive contributions made by older adults and persons with disabilities. APS, accepts reports of suspected abuse of elders/dependent adults in facilities as long as the alleged abuser is a non-resident and a non-employee.

Caring Neighbors  (619) 263-1384

Provides volunteers to make minor home repairs and install basic security devices for low-and moderate-income homeowners in Santee. Services are limited to health, safety and security.

ElderHelp   (619) 284-9281

Assistance may include grocery shopping, friendly visiting, check-in calls, escorted transportation, trusted referrals, minor home repairs, home safety inspections, mail sorting and organization, gardening, pet care, care transitions, advocacy, family caregiver support, health literacy, care planning and assessment, and respite.


Click here for locations


Metropolitan Transit (Bus & Trolley)    (619) 233-3004

Trolley and fixed route bus service including local, urban, express, premium express and rural routes.

MTS Access   (800) 921-9664

For certified ADA passengers who are not able to board buses and trolleys, MTS Access (operated by First Transit) provides door-to-door service to locations within a ¾ mile radius of a fixed bus stop or trolley station. Cost: $4.50

City of La Mesa - Rides4Neighbors   (619) 667-1321

Door-to-door rides for essential needs such as medical or dental appointments, shopping, personal care, banking and more. Riders must be 60+ or disabled adults who cannot drive due to their age or disability.  An application must be completed and rides must be requested 5 business days in advance. Cost: Donation (min. $3 suggested)

ElderHelp:  Seniors A Go Go   (619) 284-9281

Volunteer drivers provide door-thru-door service to medical appointments, shopping trips, social visits and other essential places. Drivers assist as needed, including helping on errands or appointments.


Home Start   (888) 385-4657

Provides services to prevent child abuse including: emergency food and shelter, nutrition education, in-home parenting education, benefits application assistance, workforce development support, free tax consultation and financial literacy services.

Crisis House   (619) 444-1194

Provides emergency shelter, case management and counseling services.

Project Safehouse - Center for Community Solutions   (888) 385-4657

Provides shelter in a home-like environment for battered women and their children in current domestic violence situations.

YMCA   (888) 385-4657

Provides safe housing, a 24-hour domestic violence hotline, counseling, legal assistance, employment support, financial literacy training, and children’s programs.